Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eat Pray Love


Levi is at a track meet in San Angelo today and tomorrow, so I'm eating lunch at work today and enjoying Eat Pray Love. Right now I'm reading about her stay in Italy and I'm LOVING it since I lived there about three months after my freshman year in college. It's so fun to hear what she thinks about all the different Italian cities. Here's a kooky theory from the book that I thought was interesting today.

"Every city has a single word that defines it, that identifies most people who live there. If you could read people's thoughts as they were passing you on the streets of any given place, you would discover that most of them are thinking the same thought. Whatever the majority thought might be- that is the word of the city. And if your personal word does not match the word of the city, then you don't really belong there."

I've been sitting here thinking about all the different cities in the world that I've been to and trying to think of the different words that define them. I don't really remember the culture of Costa Rica enough to label them though.

I would say that China's word would be CONFORM. (I don't think it's necessary to break their cities up...sad.) Although Hong Kong would deserve it's own word...WIN.
New York's word would be ACHIEVE.
Los Angeles' word is SUCCEED.
Rome's is SEX.
The Vatican's is POWER.
Kauai's is RELAX.
and Abilene's is COMFORTABLE. Which is probably why Levi and I don't feel like this should be our home forever. The culture here is to find a routine, and stay in it.

So...I wonder what my personal word is and what city I would best fit. Levi and I probably have very different words :) We're a good balance.

I'm excited to hear how Levi did in this track meet! He is doing SO WELL!! Hopefully he'll have a meet in Abilene soon so his family and my family can come watch, cheer, makes signs...embarrass him :) I'm so proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment